What is Dodoland ? What are the goals?
Each activity area is reinforcing the themes of being “creative and imaginative” which is one of the main focuses of “Journey to Dodoland” , also to love and protect nature and thirdly to find vision for the future which is the theme in the Island of Eyes . Dodoland is an interactive entertainment and learning place for both the young (and young at heart). Eight Centres are:
|Dragon Ship||Find Unique Self. Dodoland Story Centre – Celebrating Self Discovery -“Unique Self” Art|
|Night Bubble||Find “Hero/Heroine Self”. Creative Centre where one can be inspired featuring art, writing for “Hero/Heroine Self” Ptojects|
|Singing Tree||Finding “Harmony Self” . Song Centre and learn the History/Goals of Dodoland. Developing immersive environments – e.g.. Topia, New Art City|
|Giant Flower Island|
Magical Earth Secrets Island
|Finding “Nature Self”. Nature Retreat – Love and Protection|
Eco Self Projects
|Island of Eyes||Finding Vision – ” Vision for the Future Projects||Star Galaxy Casa – Finding “Empowerment Self” – Storytellers|
Goals for the site
Dodo Land is a happy, meaningful, place to build vision and creativity for oneself and the world. It shows, the power of art and writing, (can be extended to music, movement, drama & technology) in developing one’s self esteem and creativity, and finding one’s unique self , bigger story of ourselves” and we stories” for the world. It encourage positive solutions in having nature as a tutor. We look at nature and recognize the beauty and the cycles. When artistic activities in art, writing, drama, music and creative 3-D, virtual. projects are done, it can convey a message that can influence people to make changes to their own individual development and to help themselves, others and have happier & healthy world. This can be accomplished together with collaboration in community. Creativity, nature tutoring, and vision building.
- 1. To help develop a creative and diverse approach in expressing feelings and one’s unique self.
- 2. To gain self esteem and confidence.
- 3. To appreciate the beauty of nature.
- 4. And to achieve satisfaction in sharing in interactivity and participating and collaborating.
- 5. To learn world vision building for a healthier and happier planet for all.
- 1) It is people based-every person has a unique response. This helps develop self confidence. All people who feel confident are more likely to work cooperatively with others and I becomes we. Reaching out to others from around the world to help build confidence and world vision. The stories are global and are multi-cultural and can be multi-ligual. They are also multidimensional. It inlcudes three stories – Journey to Dodoland, Magical Earth Secrets and Star Galaxy for the World – all authored and painted by Della Burford.
- 2) It is perceptual, emphasizing the one’s ability (all ages) to be sensitive and respond with feelings about themselves, others, all of life, and nature.
- 3) It is interdisciplinary. We have designed the site to have various curriculum area crossovers. Art often leads to writing, and then to music drama and even immersive environments. Many projects start with scientific knowledge or research. Many times art and science overlap. As curriculm areas overlap, and in the process of coordinated expression, understanding is enhanced.
Dodoland has been mainly conceptualized and designed by Della Burford and Dale Bertrand (Vision-Builders).
The first issue was launched with the help of many people at the Swiftsure project 1997 which was a British Columbian goverment funded project. Dave Godfrey and Ivan Sinclair’s knowledge was invaluable in the development. Marilyn Bowering’s initial interest was appreciated. Glen Burford’s continued technical support is greatly appreciated. Each new page requires designing, writing, researching, photographing, scanning, and computer work. Most of this has been by working in kind by Della Burford and Dale Bertrand.
Josh Ardnt helped with ideas in development at one stage. In 1997 some angel friends gave assistance. This included Yasmin Glanville, Shel Goldstein, Pat Brennan, Howard & Alice Jerome and Jenny . Later David Walsh. Thanks again.
Chris Martin has been doing the coding and designing of the new Dodoland web-site. His creativity is greatly appreciated. His coding skills were essential in the development to a new sit.
Latest News! Della has been part of the Design Science Studio program of the Buckminster Fuller Institue. During this time two Topia sites have been developed . Star Galaxy for the World and Dodoland Topia. Thanks so much to Julian Ramirez who has helped us with design in Star Galaxy for the Topia World. Also thanks to Dale Bertrand. The developed in 3-D by Julian Ramirez is Star Galaxy for the World in the New Art City and a short animated film. Also thanks to Struppi for music and Freeman for tech for voice over in the animation.